Many,many thanks to those WAMUGGERS who, as usual, gave both comprehensive and useful advice.
Purchased Pages (iWork) through Daniel as usual.
Regards
Darrel
On 08/02/2009, at 1:32 PM, Mike Murray wrote:

Hi Darrel

I use Adobe InDesign for our publishing work. Clients prepare their text input in Word and provide the photos/images separately. I bring the text and images together and do the layout using Indesign and eventually save the finished product as a PDF file which goes to the printer for digital printing.

If the printer is required to do more than just print off the PDF, they prefer to work with InDesign or Quark Express. I agree with the comments that generally, no-one likes Word for final document preparation, but it's great to do the writing - just don't embed anything else in it, and don't bother with fancy formatting... all that can be done with the layout program.

Haven't tried Pages for anything big, though it looks good.

Cheers
Mike