Thanks Ronnie, I have read the techs from Micromat My laptop only went through the first two test and hung. Then I had no option but to go back in with Techtool it was then that I could not see the HDD. I would love to say that it was coincidence and the Drive was about to pack in but SMART gave no indication of this. So My presumption, right or wrong was that Techtool was the culprit. It may be then that something else was afoot. If the concensus is that TTP5 is stable then I shall try again. If not I will wait.
tom samson

Welcome back Ronnie and thanks for the imput