As an Apple Macintosh user, there is nothing to recommend the bigpond internet
product from Telstra, relative to iinet &
thus westnet, unless Telstra is the only service provider in your area.  As a
mac user, essentially all your internet traffic (both
uploads & downloads) are counted towards your monthly Gigabyte limit, ie Apple
software updates (a bevy of Apple software
updates can exceed the monthly limit of Telstra's cheapest plan - this being
only 600 MB - in one run of Software Update).
Any iTunes product (movie trailers, music purchases or movie rentals) are
counted, as are ABC iView streaming of recent ABC
TV shows.  The cited examples are all part of the iinet freezone.  Bigpond's
own movie rentals & pay TV offerings, although
not counted as part of the bigpond traffic limit, are not usable on Apple
computers running an Apple OS, because the
products rely on Windows only DRM.  If you have an intel mac, you could
purchase Windows and a product like Parallels and
run windows on the intel mac to get access to the bigpond free content, so you
may not be so technically constrained as
Apple PPC users.  Therefore, as a fulltime mac user,  the 12 GB/25GB per month
products from bigpond, depending upon
your internet tastes, may only be equivalent to a 3/6 GB product from iinet. On
the phone side of things, I am noting that
iinet's VOIP product, with its much cheaper calls, has improved remarkably in
quality - however there can be good reasons
to maintain a more expensive standard POTS service (iinet market this as
Phone1) , than switch to something like iinet's
Naked service which offers only VOIP calls.

Richard

On Sat May  2 22:59 , Malcolm McCallum <doc...@westnet.com.au> sent: