On 16/06/2009, at 12:46 PM, gary dorn wrote:

Howdy

I think previously to upgrading to Leopard, I could create various printer presets such as
        black and white,
        1200 dpi
snip

Hi Gary,

You still can set custom print presets in Leopard. The Grayscale option is under Print Settings - Media Type: Color: use the arrows to change from "color" to "Grayscale".

This capability must now be dependant on what type of printer is connected, as my lexmark b & w laser printer has no Media option.

I checked the G4 ( with 10.4.8) to see what it showed up and yep , under colour it has a Quartz Filter options, see http://homepage.mac.com/dornworks/filechute/printer%20G4.png

seems 10.5 does not have these -
see  http://homepage.mac.com/dornworks/filechute/printer%20MacPro.png
 I wonder why.

Anyway , I may have to make my own b & w filter
http://mactoids.com/create-a-quartz-filter-with-colorsync/

Saving a group of print options as a preset:
To save a preset:

snip

But what if you want that to be the default setting? Reaching back into our collective Macintosh memory, hold down the Option key when selecting the Print button and the current Preset will become the default for all apps.

Ronni
thanks for helping me understand this all a bit better.
Your a champion.

chow
--
gary dorn