My wife and I have tried quite a few different cases since getting our iPhone 3G's almost a year ago.

Originally I had a blue DLO BlueJam silicone case that was great at stopping the phone falling out of a loose pocket and stopped it slipping off an inclined surface like a lecture theatre lectern, but it was a magnet for dirt, dust and fluff and was a real pain to pull out of a tight jeans pocket.

I then got a yellow and black hybrid hard/soft exoskeleton-like case called the SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel Tiger
http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Rebel/Rebel.php?color=tiger
This case was extremely good looking, but unfortunately proved too slippery my needs - thankfully a friend bought it off me.

I then happened to find an absolutely excellent little phone case shop at the Freo markets that had stacks of iPhone cases I hadn't seen before including the one that I ended up buying - a transparent vinyl- like case that is not too slippery and not too grippy - just right. Great prices too - $15-$20. :-)

ps. Sorry to hear the problems you've had Peter. Our iPhones have been extremely reliable and durable.

-Mart