On 09/08/2009, at 11:07 PM, Warwick Smith wrote:

Hi WAMUGers

Does anyone have a 'quick fix' for lost administrator privileges. My personal PowerBook G4 (Mac OS X 10.5) now asks me for an administrator name and password three times before I can use system preferences, and no longer accepts my user name and password for any changes.

When reviewing my system account, the administrator checkbox ("Allow user to administer computer") is greyed out, and no longer ticked.

If I can avoid a complete reformat and reinstall, I'd prefer it, as I'm uncertain whether even that is possible without the administrator access being available.

Are there easier options?

In hope ...

Hi Warwick ,

You do not say if you have done a totally shutdown or restart ! ?

I would do that first

then use disk utility to Repair Permissions !

If you are then still in trouble you need your Instal disks and load the disk
up to where if asks if you want to instal

At that point check your drop down menus for the option
to change or reset passwords .

Do that ,
back out from the disk
restart from your G4 and see what you have

Have fun

Bob