On 09/08/2009, at 11:07 PM, Warwick Smith wrote:

Hi WAMUGers

Does anyone have a 'quick fix' for lost administrator privileges. My personal PowerBook G4 (Mac OS X 10.5) now asks me for an administrator name and password three times before I can use system preferences, and no longer accepts my user name and password for any changes.

When reviewing my system account, the administrator checkbox ("Allow user to administer computer") is greyed out, and no longer ticked.

If I can avoid a complete reformat and reinstall, I'd prefer it, as I'm uncertain whether even that is possible without the administrator access being available.

Are there easier options?

In hope ...

Hello Warwick,

In System Preferences > Accounts is the lock "locked", if it is the "Allow user to administer this computer" is unable to be ticked. Click on the lock, then type in your password, then you should be able to "tick" - "Allow user to administer this computer".
Then click the Lock to prevent further changes
Then "Log Out" and then "Log In" again.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.5.8