Thank you Rod D and Ronnie for you responses,

I wasn't given custom install option and didn't notice the top menu bar, installed software, panicked a bit when it my mpegs didn't play, saw Quicktime 7, erased that - oops,
did a fresh install of Snow Leopard,
so it wasn't a clean install and wow they we were correct about freeing 7Gb that must have set a new record for a software upgrade minus 7Gb.

All is working now, my 4yr old son can watch his mpegs again.

and,
 did anyone else read this on the 9 to 5 mac RSS feed:

'For those of you running Snow Leopard on newer Macs, you might be disappointed to know that you are probably running in 32-bit mode. And to check your system Software Overview - 64-bit Kernal and Extensions : Yes or No '

Brian

  Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:     MacBookPro4,1
  Processor Name:       Intel Core 2 Duo