On 09/09/2009, at 5:47 PM, Paul Weaver wrote:

The backup I have is an exported .abbu file of a couple of hundred contacts. They imported okay on the other account, and on another machine, but not with the most used account. I tried moving a complete Application support/AddressBookfolder from the other account but it was rejected.

Was this "Other" account "Your Account"? Otherwise it would be rejected possibly as you wouldn't have correct permissions. What was the error you received when you tried to replace the "Application Support/AddressBook folder"?

My original instructions were for "Your" Address Book backup folder to be copied to the same location in your new home folder, replacing the AddressBook folder there.
-------
Another suggestion you could try is:

1. Select all your contacts (from the Address Book that is functioning correctly) and drag them to the desktop.
   This will make one big vCard with all your contacts on the desktop.

2. Move it to your Account and drop it on the address book there.

If you can’t import because of permissions errors.
In the Finder, select the vCard file you’re trying to import and choose File > Get Info. In the Sharing & Permissions section, choose Read & Write from the Privilege pop-up menu

I see there is a file named Configuration.plist. Should I try deleting that?

No.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard