Hi Martin,

The slow upload speed certainly isn't helping, I've heard that Reachnet is
painfully slow ;-)

Try the following:

1. Quit Mail first and using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail >
Mailboxes > Outbox.mbox.

2. Drag the Outbox.mbox to the Trash and empty the Trash.

3. When re-launching Mail, a new Outbox.mbox will be created automatically by
Mail within the Mailboxes folder.

Test if this resolves the problem.