Hi Laura,

I can assure you you can install Mac OS X 10.6 via an external DVD drive as
I had to 2 weeks ago due to an original MacBook's internal drive being
flaky. So you could still consider the external drive option - as you can
get USB drives on eBay for around $60 or locally for a little bit more.

Regards,

Chris.