Peter,

Save the document as a Rich Text File (rtf). I know of no word- processor that can't read and interpret rtf files. Also, InDesign will happily place rtf files, often doing a better job than the same document saved as doc or docx file types.

I regard it as rude to send other persons doc or docx files, as you are assuming that they have Microsoft Word or similar, with which to successfully open the document.

Similarly, I rarely send emails in a form other than plain text. Many receivers now use iPhones and similar to check email, and formatted emails chew up their expensive data allocations at a rate of knots.