Hi Ronni & Rod,

I¹m not 100% sure on this ­ so please forgive me if I¹ve got hold of the
wrong end of the stick!

>From Rod¹s email he wants to restore all a students accounts & info  from
the Time machine backup of the students old macbook (which is dead) to a new
macbook.

I would have thought that the instructions Ronni has given are more
appropriate for restoring to the same computer (say if the hard disc died
and was replaced)

My concerns:
* The original machine was older hardware and ran OSX 10.5
* The new machine came with OSX 10.6
* The restore procedure given will restore the hard drive to the OSX 10.5
configuration of the old machine.
* This configuration may not suit the new hardware.

For example, my new iMac27, delivered with SL 10.6, will not boot from a
clone of my old 24² iMac running Leopard 10.5. Also, I note that the article
that Ronni references
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1964018> does say:

> But do not try this full system restore from a different Mac's backups.  If it
> boots at all, many things will likely go wrong, as the new Mac won't have the
> correct hardware drivers, among other things.

I would have thought a better approach might be:

1. Perform a Time Machine restore of the old system (as per Ronni¹s
instructions) to either a separate hard drive or a separate partition (to
the SL 10.6 system) on the new machine.
2. Then use Migration assistant to copy the accounts (and applications if
wished and compatible) from the restored Leopard drive/partition to the new
SL drive/partition.
3. After successful migration, testing and back-up of the new set-up, the
original restored Leopard drive/partion can be erased.

This may take longer to do, but I would have thought it would ensure that
the appropriate system software was installed on the new machine. Forgive me
if I have misunderstood the situation/set-up, but I would hate to see the
new macbook SL system get overwritten with the 10.5 system of an older
hardware machine.

Cheers

Neil
--