If you will forgive me replying to my own email:

It occurs to me that:

* The obvious way to do this was with the Set-up assistant on the new
machine, or with migration assistant later.
* Rod tried this first, but ran into problems ­ he wonders if the problem is
restoring from 10.5 system to a 10.6 system.
* If so, the same problems MAY prevent step 1 of my approach also.

If this is the case, you could try using a 10.5 system (assuming you have
another 10.5 machine available) to perform step 1 and then proceed with
steps 2 & 3 from the new 10.6 Macbook.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Neil