Hi Peter

Can you test the actual battery voltage?   I think a starting point is to
determine if the batteries are flat or the problem is in the computer
system.   With a variety of systems I’ve noted I get low battery warnings on
screen, but  it is usually due to interference or low signal between mouse
and computer.   If you don’t have a voltmeter, try the old mouse batteries
in an mp3 player or other device.

My Magic Mouse is running on original batteries after 3 months light use
(now shows around 20% capacity but still works OK).  I also use Magicprefs.

Regards, Alan

Alan Smith

  iMac 21.5" Nov 2009

  Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz / 4 MB

  OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

  Maxtor Basic 500GB USB HDD partitioned for Time Machine and Music