Hi Peter,

I haven¹t had a problem with the Magic mouse, but the wireless keyboard
stopped working quite quickly with my new iMac ­ I didn¹t originally suspect
the batteries as I had had so little use ­ however it finally occurred to me
to try new batteries ­ I threw in some re-chargeables and that solved the
problem.

A current check in system preferences shows my battery levels as 43% for the
keyboard and still 62% for the mouse (which still has the Apple supplied
batteries).

For the record, I do not switch the mouse off at the base (unless I¹m going
to be away for a day or two) and I do have bluetooth set to allow to wake
from sleep (I like to be able to just wake up the mac from the
mouse/keyboard.

One thing to check, you said
> The Macbook screen certainly goes into Sleep mode and is it therefore implied
> that the mouse goes to sleep at the same time?

The energy saver preference pane allows you to set separate schedules for
sleeping the computer and display (also for a laptop you set the schedules
separately for battery operation vs powered operation) so it is possible to
have the display sleeping but the computer staying awake (if you were to
choose to set it this way) - so it may be worth just checking what your
sleep settings are.

Also with the AA batteries you use, different battery type can have
different voltages ­ make sure you are using ones that say 1.5v (some types
are only 1.2v) - although that should show up as a low battery %age.

Sorry I can¹t be of more help ­ I am overjoyed with the new magic mouse
after the appalling scroll ball on the previous mighty mouse -it constantly
needed ³cleaning² and I had two failures - one in and one out of warranty.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton