From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On Behalf Of
Neil Houghton
Sent: Wednesday, 24 February 2010 10:49 AM
To: WAMUG
Subject: Re: Blocking Flash

Yes, I use Firefox but agree that these plug-ins are great for removing
unwanted ads and flash - speeding up browsing significantly.

There are several plug-ins for Firefox, but the relevant ones which I am
currently running are:

- Flashblock - as for clicktoflash on Safari it blocks all Flash assets on a
web page until you explicitly click on them.

- Adblock Plus - this strips out all the other (non-flash) ads based on
whatever filter set you add (I use Rick752's EasyList - which seems to work
well for me)

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 24/2/10 5:26 AM, Peter Sealy at carp...@internode.on.net wrote:

> I agree with Matt. I have been using Clicktoflash for a long while now and it
> works great. But it does not stop all image based advertising because a lot of
> advertisers now place their advertisements within the web page and don't use
> Flash. I don't know how this is done. I bet there is an army of geeks working
> on how to defeat Clicktoflash on behalf of the advertising industry or even
> within Adobe.
>
> But for now +1 for Clicktoflash. I think there is at least one other similar
> app.
>

> On 24/02/2010, at 3:36 AM, Dark1 wrote:
>

>> Wow.  Thanks for this Matt.  Indeed there is a great amount of flash
>> advertising.  This link is very useful.
>>
>> Ruben
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> With all the well-deserved Flash-bagging going around I thought it poignant
>>> to mention a great little plugin for Safari called Click2Flash.
>>>
>>> <http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/>
>>>
>>> Essentially, it blocks all Flash assets on a web page until you explicitly
>>> click on them. From a purely subjective point of view, web browsing is
>>> significantly faster on flash-ad heavy sites. It just feels smoother.
>>>
>>> It's also quite an eye-opened to see how much Flash content is actually
>>> embedded into sites these days.
>>>
>>> Try it out.
>>>
>>> - Matt Healey

*****************************
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When
addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice
(collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement
exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such
information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not
assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the
information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the
message from your computer.