Hi Peter,

It tends to be a personal preference sort of thing. I got into using Firefox
several years ago because, in those days, several of the websites I used
didn't work well with Safari - however most of those problems have been
fixed long ago. Also Firefox offered tabbed browsing whilst at that time
Safari didn't (but of course it does now).

One of the things I do like about Firefox is the choice of add-ons/plug-ins
- I don't use a lot of these - but the one I do use I really appreciate -
besides the two I listed previously, others I like are:

€   Multiple Tab Handler - Lets me select multiple tabs and perform actions
on them (reload then all for example) - I find I use this all the time when
I have a bunch of tabs open showing financial data - I can just update them
all at once instead of having to cycle through the tabs, reloading as I go.

€   DownloadHelper - Watching some video on a webpage and want to just
download it - this add-on provides contextual menus that let you do just
that.

€   Firefox PDF Plugin for Mac OSX - of course you can view pdfs in Safari -
but I prefer the experience in Firefox with this plug-in - Example you click
on a pdf link but your browser window is too small for optimum viewing - so
you click the green "+" button - in Firefox that zooms the browser window to
maximum size and away you go - but click the green button in Safari and (for
me) the window shrinks to some arbitrary size!

To see what I mean, try something like:
<http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20100215/pdf/31nph2f647ypdy.pdf>
(or any other online pdf)

Having said that, I still fire up Safari from time to time - generally if I
find a website that doesn't work well with Firefox, then often Safari will
open it OK.

For yourself, if Safari does all you want then it does offer the more
seamless Apple experience - on the other hand, as an ex-Firefox user, if you
find yourself missing any of those add-ons/plug-ins -give Firefox a try.

I believe it is always worth having at least two browsers installed so that
if you find a web-page that your default browser has problems with you can
always try it in a different browser.

As a further aside - I was recently amazed to have Opera fire up on my Mac -
amazed because I have never installed Opera!!

I used Spotlight to search for the Opera application - but it came up empty
- even more confusing. Since Opera was still running, its icon was showing
in the dock - so I used the "Show in Finder" option from the dock icon to
find that the Opera application is bundled INSIDE the Adobe Bridge CS4
application which itself is installed as part of Photoshop Elements 8
installation!

Interestingly, I wasn't even using an Adobe application at the time - I hit
the wrong download link on a webpage and selected the BitTorrent feed rather
than the direct download - and that link seemed to automatically invoke
Opera (even though I didn't even KNOW I had Opera hidden away inside another
application!

I haven't had time to play with Opera yet but, since it is there, I may have
a play one of these days!

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

PS If anyone has Photoshop Elements 8 (or any other installation which
includes Adobe Bridge CS4) and wants to see where Opera lives:

In Finder, right-click the Adobe Bridge CS4 application and select "show
package contents" Opera can be found in the Contents/MacOS folder.