Hi Stephen,

Ok, something is preventing a complete startup / login. In System Preferences >
Accounts > Login Items, do you have any non-apple 'helpers' or apps opening
automatically when you log in … hidden (tick in box)  or showing (no tick in
box)?

Try starting up in Safe Boot/ Safe Mode/ Safe Login:

1.  Be sure the computer is shut down.
2.  Press the power button.
3.  Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone
but not before.
4.  Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator
(looks like a spinning gear).

You will see "Safe Boot" on the login window.
5. Then login and wait till everything is loaded, then select restart from
Apple (at top left corner) drop-down menu.

Safe Boot occurs when the system is starting up; Safe Mode is when the system
is actually running; and Safe Login is when the system starts up the user
session.
During Safe Boot, the system will more carefully test startup procedures and
limit automatically launched processes during each stage.