Hi Stephen,

I would suggest uninstalling VirusBarrier.
At least that would be the first login Item I would be eliminating.

Anti-virus software on OS X generally is a much greater cause of problems than
it is for any kind of good solution.
They are resource hogs & have also been known to cause corruption to the
directory of the file system.

Your Login Items:
iTunesHelper (is Apple)
SpeechSynthesisServer (is Apple … you must have 'Announce the time checked in
System Prefs > Date & Time)

MagicMenu (is Third Party)
GetBackupAssistant (is Third Party)
IntegoStatusHelper (is Third Party)

On 27/04/2010, at 10:21 PM, Tim Law wrote:

> Unticking them just hides them on startup from being active available apps,
> it doesn't stop them from starting up. You need to remove them by selecting
> them and ticking the minus sign
>
> Make a list of them, remove them all and start afresh. Or remove one at a
> time and restart after each one
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 27/04/2010, at 8:48 PM, Stephen Chape <ch...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Ronda,
>> I have just been through the procedure you suggested.
>> It re-started after that with no problems.
>> However this problem is intermittent ... it does not always do this !
>>
>> My startup applications are listed as follows:-
>>
>> iTunesHelper
>> SpeechSynthesisServer
>> MagicMenu
>> GetBackupAssistant
>> IntegoStatusItemHelper (All users)
>>
>> These are all unticked.
>>
>> The only two that I recognise are iTunes and Intego ( I have Intego Virus
>> Barrier installed)
>> Do you think the other 3 are Apple or third party ?
>>
>> PS: Thank you for your assistance also Tim !!
>>
>> On 27/04/2010, at 8:32 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephen,
>>>
>>> Ok, something is preventing a complete startup / login. In System
>>> Preferences > Accounts > Login Items, do you have any non-apple 'helpers'
>>> or apps opening automatically when you log in … hidden (tick in box)  or
>>> showing (no tick in box)?
>>>
>>> Try starting up in Safe Boot/ Safe Mode/ Safe Login:
>>>
>>> 1.  Be sure the computer is shut down.
>>> 2.  Press the power button.
>>> 3.  Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift