Hi Rod

Not that I pertain to be an expert on it all, but I did set up Ronni's
MacMini and TV, and have done the same for many clients.

Basically, the MacMini becomes the sort of "do everything" system.
With the eyeTV range which runs off USB you can then bring in your TV
signal. Depending on the eyeTV you choose you can get Analog and Digital
signals, and some even allow analogue from other devices (eg VCR or older
style movie cameras).
With eyeTV you can watch live TV, do "Time Shifting" which pauses live TV
until you come back and carry on from where you left of, or you can set it
up to record TV (and even have it repeat recording). These recordings are
saved to Hard Drive, where you can then watch them later and very easily
edit (with the eyeTV software) and burn it to disk (DVD) with Toast. Or
delete it once you don't need it.
They are very small and excellent units (and many on the list can contest
to).

The great thing with the MacMini is it's small, low power and very
convenient.
Once you consider it also has wireless, then you've got full access to the
internet (For a tv guide or some quick browing). With iTunes
streaming/sharing you've got access to File Sharing out of iTunes, so you
can access all your music as well and listen to it via TV/Stereo (depending
on how you have it all setup).
Also with other programs like VLC, Real Player, iView (ABC etc) and other
streaming internet sites you then get access to a lot more content (which
you may have or own already), as well all so much other info that is out
there. (YouTube etc).
Run out of room or want to store more?? No problem. Plug in a Firewire Hard
Drive and you've got access to a whole more storage at fairly reasonable
pricing.
Of course the MacMini also has a DVD, so you can also watch your DVD's as
well.

So all in one you've then got your TV, DVD player, Internet Access, Music
"Access/storage".

Oh, and I forgot iPhoto has picture sharing as well....so you can then
access all your computers is the house and share photos as well. All
displayed on your nice big LCD or Plasma TV. (Or 3D TV??) :o)

I can't say I've ever tried to play games on them,..but hey, if you're that
way inclined you can do that as well I'm sure. (Sim3 on TV????) :)

Hopefully that gives you an idea of how the set up works. Of course, as it's
"just a standard computer", you can use it do all that and anything else
you'd normally do as well.

All it requires (especially with these new ones), is the MacMini and an HDMI
cable (if your TV has HDMI). Add on a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse
(and Apple remote if you want) and you can sit on the couch and still use
all the features.
Blow up the resolution and have large icons. Set the Dock to only the major
applications you want to use (and large dock size). Set up a couple of
others things for ease of use,...and you're in business.
It's actually a great little entertainment unit.

As mentioned I've set quite a few of these up for many clients. I just
sourced the hardware for them, and had it set up in very quickly. A quick
demo of all the features and away you go.

I have one client that has the MacMini set up with a small LCD screen (about
24" I think) and it sits on a "wheelie table". They can just wheel it from
room to room for ever want to use it. It's then their "Spare" entertainment
centre. People stay over,..wheel it to the "spare room" and the quests have
their own TV, DVD player and internet access to use. :o)
Quite cool really.

I had the same set up here until recently. (Only cause I needed to offload
the MacMini for another project). But with the new MacMini, I'll be ordering
a new one soon(ish) and set it up again. They work really well.

Hope that info helps a little and isn't too confusing.
(I have a bad habit of just writing the emails and not doubling checking it
as working through more by the time I've finished one email) :o)

(Edit: Perhaps I should do another WAMUG demo at some stage on the eyeTV
units if enough people were interested???.)

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 15/6/10 5:32 PM, "Rod Blitvich" <rb...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hey Ronni
> Please are you able to tell us about your EyeTV / entertainment system?
> I don;t know much about EyeTV and mac-based entertainment systems and I have
> had a nagging feeling for some time that I am missing out on something!
> Would love to hear more from you (and the learned throng).
> Thanks & cheers
> Blitto
>

> On 15/06/2010, at 5:16 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>

>> YES!
>> I thought the new i7 MacBook Pro's like mine, would have come out with a HDMI
>> Port.
>> I have the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter that is for the new MBPs.
>>
>> I have a MacMini running my EyeTV / entertainment system.
>> The MacMini has been used solely for this purpose for all its life.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>>
>> On 15/06/2010, at 4:59 PM, Susan Hastings wrote:
>>

>>> HDMI port!!
>>>
>>> For those of us who us a Mini with the EyeTV.

> Rod Blitvich  - Amy & Sam's Dad
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>  0409 681 256
>  rb...@iinet.net.au
>  http://web.me.com/blitto
>
> I haven't lost my mind......
>  .......it's backed up on disk somewhere!

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960