To give a country perspective:

I¹m on Internode¹s Home-1500-Explorer and I¹m located in Albany <1km from
the Telstra Exchange

Got the following test results this morning:

Speedtest.net - through Perth Fast Hit server:

> Download: 1.32 Mbps
> Upload: .22 Mbps
> Ping: 31ms.

Speedtest.net - through Adelaide Internode server:

> Download: 1.39 Mbps
> Upload: .22 Mbps
> Ping: 59ms.

Internode Online Tools (also attributed to Speedtest.net)

> Download: 1400 kbps
> Upload: 217 kbps

I¹m not sure if or how much I¹m being slowed by my wireless network (802.11
g) as there are a couple of brick walls between me and the router at present
­ I did just notice that my speedtest history shows some much quicker
download speeds from 2007 (when I was in another room and connected directly
to the router by ethernet):

Speedtest.net - through Brisbane server (August 2007):

> Download: 6.55 Mbps
> Upload: .32 Mbps
> Ping: 109ms.

Speedtest.net - through Adelaide server (August 2007):

> Download: 4.73 Mbps
> Upload: .29 Mbps
> Ping: 103ms.

The two tests above were taken within 30 mins of each other in August 2007 ­
so show that speed can vary significantly from test to test ­ but, thinking
about it though, I¹m also confused since my plan offers a max download speed
of 1500kbps (ie 1.5 Mbps) - so the results that Speedtest is showing for me
back in 2007 would seem to be significantly higher than my theoretical
maximum??!!

Any thoughts/explanation on that one?

Just to get a feel on consistency (test to test) I repeated the Perth &
Adelaide tests around 1 hr later (but with the settings changed to kbps
units) and got:

Speedtest.net - through Perth Fast Hit server:

> Download: 1315 kbps
> Upload: 158 kbps
> Ping: 31ms.

Speedtest.net - through Adelaide Internode server:

> Download: 1466 kbps
> Upload: 217 kbps
> Ping: 59ms.

All in all, I¹m pretty happy that I¹m getting what I¹m paying for (1500/256)
with Internode and I have found that my nodephone VOIP with them has also
been high quality and very reliable.

Cheers

Neil
--