You are in luck. iPad and iPhones in Australia are sold unlocked, so you can
always get a local sim card with some data on and use that then the expensive
hotel wifi.

Really depend how many emails you got to send / receive. The iPhone is great
for on the road, but not ideal for daily work. The iPad and the Air are better,
but obviously much larger. While traveling you might be tempted to take some
photos, again here the iPhone is very nice. The iPhone 4 is already available
in Europe and should be coming out in July (maybe. who knows) here as well.

Definitely go with a local sim card as it's cheaper and also works outside the
hotel.

Alex