Hi Chris

The microSIM that goes into the iPad will let you access data, but it won't
work as a phone. The iPad doesn't have any "phone features". Though if you
install Skype on it, then you can use a headset to "make a call". However,
on a SIM network, you'd want to watch the costing. As though the Skype to
Skype call would be free, you're still using SIM network data, and that can
add up.
Although the iPad does have Mail (similar to OSX), you can't just copy your
Mail folder over to it and have it access it. You have to remember that's
it's not "really a computer" in the way that you can grab and move files to
locations like OSX.
Long day and I can't really think off the top of my head, how you'd get your
InBox over. Bar sending it all to yourself again. Not sure even saving it as
an .mbox file archive and sending it would work really either. Would need to
test that.
But yes, you'd certainly be able to set it up with Mail, so you could get
"new mail" and reply to them.
Also, the above depends on whether you're using POP or IMAP setup for email.
One is easier to work with the other.
Most of my accounts are IMAP for ease of use and access to past email from
all devices. (Though I really use it more just for daily emails across all
devices and the laptop as the main device).

In answer to your PS upgrade query. Odds on yes you'll see "something"
upgraded by September. That's a long way away,..so pretty good odds. Exactly
what it will be,..only Apple will know. (And some of the rumour sites once
they look around,...lol).
MacRumors run a "reasonable" Buyers Guide, which gives you an idea when
things *MAY* get upgraded.
<http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/>
Bear in mind, it's all based on rumours and past upgrade times/life spans of
products. You have to take it with a grain of salt and work out when you
"need" to upgrade.
If you look at the last MacBookPro upgrade they said it would be upgraded
early January. Lots of people waited. And it didn't show until March/April.
That's around 2-3 months "waiting". The "it's going to happen next week",
went on for quite a few weeks.
Unfortunately like anything in the computer/electronic industry (and
others),..there's always something better just around the corner. And no
matter when or what you buy,..something will always change. You just have to
the homework and work out how long you want to wait, how much you want to
spend, how much you need or want it, and how much are you better off
upgrading now versus waiting. (eg some industries waiting for an upgrade
slows down production. Upgrade now and risk it not being the latest and
greatest versus time and money saved in speed of production etc,.. May
outweigh the time spent waiting even longer..
(Hope all that makes sense. I know what I mean,..it's sometimes just a
matter of trying to get that into intelligible English,..lol) :o)

Hope that helps somewhat.

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 27/6/10 10:23 AM, "Chris Burton" <c...@it.net.au> wrote:

> [...]
>> You can buy an unlocked iPhone 4 in France right now.
>>
>> hope this helps.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Robin
>>
>> On 26/06/2010, at 1:18 PM, Daniel Kerr wrote:
>>

>>> Um. Not entirely correct I'm afraid. Not all iPhones are sold
>>> "unlocked" by
>>> default. If you buy the iPhone on contract then some of the phone
>>> companies
>>> lock them to their network, and you have to pay to get it "unlocked".
>>> Certainly if you buy the iPhone outright from some places, then yes
>>> it is
>>> unlocked for any network. But you have to make sure before you buy
>>> it.
>>> The iPad is unlocked for any network.
>>>
>>> If you're mostly looking at the email point of view Chris, then I
>>> think
>>> you'd be fine with an iPad. It will handle your email perfectly and
>>> they
>>> work very well. And you'll find you use it more and more for lots
>>> of other
>>> things as well.
>>> Either the WiFi model would be fine (depending on situations) or if
>>> you
>>> wanted to cover all your bases then the WiFi+3G would be better.
>>> That way,
>>> as other have said previously and here also, you can buy a local
>>> SIM to keep
>>> your costings down. If you're in a hotel or café (or anywhere) that
>>> has
>>> WiFi, then that's always your best option as it will be a lot
>>> cheaper. But
>>> if you're out and about and wanted to just double check something,
>>> or send
>>> an urgent reply then you know you've got the 3G to cover that as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> They are very lightweight and compact, yet the larger screen makes
>>> it much
>>> easier for emails etc. The iPhone is good, but for some things, the
>>> iPad is
>>> just that much better.
>>>
>>> Your other option also, if you're watching your costings, is to
>>> just use
>>> webmail. Most hotels (or internet cafés) should have computers that
>>> you can
>>> use for a little cost, then log into your webmail to check emails
>>> and reply.
>>> Yes, you don't have the convenience to do it when you want to (or
>>> as private
>>> or back in your hotel room etc), but it's one less cost. So that
>>> can be an
>>> option as well. And sometimes easier as you then spend more time on
>>> your
>>> "holiday" and less time always "just wanting to check that one last
>>> time for
>>> an email". (Or maybe that's just the work-a-holic in me,...) :o)
>>> (Besides,..remind me again,..what's this thing you call

---