Just got back from a month in France.
All hotels I stayed in, in many parts of the country, had free internet
connectivity, mostly WiFi, in all rooms.
Telstra Roaming had issues with congested networks in Paris, i.e. every day
from noon to 6 pm my iPhone would have no service, fine every where else in the
country. (Telstra have had no sensible or intelligent comment on this issue.)

If you have an iPad take that otherwise if you have the fortitude and the
space, take your laptop, a laptop is the most convenient option for managing
your photos, posting to web sites, etc.
Don't plan on buying an iPad in France unless you want to pay more, as they are
more expensive there than here.
If your phone is unlocked you can easily get a prepaid SIM from Orange or an
other carrier in France, there are three carriers.
You can buy an unlocked iPhone 4 in France right now.

hope this helps.

regards,

Robin