Hi James,

You are using OS X 10.4.11, I remember this happening in Tiger.

First Solution:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest
make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system
features are accessed.
If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the
appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences
files are removed.
Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this
irritating problem.

Second Solution I Found:

1. Open "System Preferences" and go to "Security".

2. Tick off "Require password to unlock each secure system preference".

Now click "show all" at the top. You will probably have to quit "System
Preferences" to make the change take effect.

3. Open "System Preferences" again and choose "Network". (You will probably get
the annoying pop up once, but this time when you click "OK" it shouldn't loop).

4. Notice that the padlock in the bottom left corner is now locked. Click it to
unlock, and enter your password (assuming you are the administrator).

5. Now click back on the show all button. The Mac will think you made a change
and ask if you want to " Apply configuration changes" click "Apply".

Once it saves the changes your problem should be fixed. You can go back to the
"Security" pane and untick the option you enabled earlier.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)