Hi Daniel, this use of the Macmini sounds fantastic and very versatile.
I am some time in the near future to set up my home entertainment units
and have a simple Panasonic HD recorder currently (with twin digital
tuners on board) so it is fine for my current 'couch potato' needs. But
to incorporate itunes, iphoto, internet capability, avi file (and other
file types) DVD playback and perhaps others by piggybacking a macmini
into the mix, sounds like something that will give me access to some of
my media which is slightly inaccessible currently and some further
functionality that I have never experienced on the home TV platform.

Below you note about burning off to DVD using Toast. Does the macmini
have a burner on board or is it an external attachment?

How many USB ports does the macmini have? Can it accommodate the eyetv
dongle as well as an external drive/burner attached if that is what's
required? Can it function with a hub if I need multiple USB ports?

I had anticipated up till now an Apple TV would give me what I want
(with the atv hack of course and maybe an attached external drive for
mega capacity) but maybe the Macmini approach will give me all this and
more than the Apple TV will give for around the same or even a little
more $$'s.

Your comments appreciated.

Regards

Peter.