Peter,

My 4yo Macmini, running EyeTV and Toast, has an internal burner that burns up to double-layer DVDs. Can't do Blueray, but the current Macminis can't either.

My old Macmini has 4 USB ports. I use one for the keyboard/mouse, and one for the EyeTV stick.

A slightly expensive, but very useful extra to an EyeTV, Mac, Toast setup is a screen colour calibrator. Makes colours much more vibrant on my system, which uses a 24" Samsung monitor as the screen. Should give even better results on a HDMI-driven TV screen because TVs screen makers tend not to worry too much about rendering colours very accurately. Just compare the pictures on the various screens running the same p[program in your local TV retailer.

Has anyone mentioned that you can use your TV-Mac for other computing work while watching TV (with screen clutter) or when not watching TV.

Would never dream of using AppleTV instead.