From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Ray Forma
Sent: Wednesday, 11 August 2010 9:27 AM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: TV DVD Recording

Peter,

My 4yo Macmini, running EyeTV and Toast, has an internal burner that
burns up to double-layer DVDs. Can't do Blueray, but the current
Macminis can't either.

My old Macmini has 4 USB ports. I use one for the keyboard/mouse, and
one for the EyeTV stick.

A slightly expensive, but very useful extra to an EyeTV, Mac, Toast
setup is a screen colour calibrator. Makes colours much more vibrant
on my system, which uses a 24" Samsung monitor as the screen. Should
give even better results on a HDMI-driven TV screen because TVs
screen makers tend not to worry too much about rendering colours very
accurately. Just compare the pictures on the various screens running
the same p[program in your local TV retailer.

Has anyone mentioned that you can use your TV-Mac for other computing
work while watching TV (with screen clutter) or when not watching TV.

Would never dream of using AppleTV instead.

On 11/08/2010, at 7:17 , Crisp, Peter wrote:

> Hi Daniel, this use of the Macmini sounds fantastic and very
> versatile.
> I am some time in the near future to set up my home entertainment
> units
> and have a simple Panasonic HD recorder currently (with twin digital
> tuners on board) so it is fine for my current 'couch potato' needs.
> But
> to incorporate itunes, iphoto, internet capability, avi file (and
> other
> file types) DVD playback and perhaps others by piggybacking a macmini
> into the mix, sounds like something that will give me access to
> some of
> my media which is slightly inaccessible currently and some further
> functionality that I have never experienced on the home TV platform.
>
> Below you note about burning off to DVD using Toast. Does the macmini
> have a burner on board or is it an external attachment?
>
> How many USB ports does the macmini have? Can it accommodate the eyetv
> dongle as well as an external drive/burner attached if that is what's
> required? Can it function with a hub if I need multiple USB ports?
>
> I had anticipated up till now an Apple TV would give me what I want
> (with the atv hack of course and maybe an attached external drive for
> mega capacity) but maybe the Macmini approach will give me all this
> and
> more than the Apple TV will give for around the same or even a little
> more $$'s.
>
> Your comments appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter.

Regards,

Ray Forma
Tel & Fax +61 (0)8 9335 6568
Mob +61 (0) 428 596938

*****************************
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When
addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice
(collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement
exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such
information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not
assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the
information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the
message from your computer.