Yes, sorry about not reading your email properly Matt.  I had just arrived back
in my office and rushed an email off to you.
I've been out again and only now returned ;-(

If the bluetooth hardware is not being seen on your PowerBook.
Do as Daniel suggested:  Firstly try A PRAM reset and if that doesn't help a
PMU reset.
If neither of these do the trick, it would need to be seen by Daniel as the
Bluetooth Module could be loose or not connected.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will
need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination
before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound
for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock
settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Resetting PMU on PowerBook or iBook computers
In some troubleshooting situations, if resetting PRAM does not resolve an
issue, resetting the PMU may be the next appropriate step. For information on
when this is appropriate and for instructions on how to reset the PMU in your
PowerBook computer, see Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit
(PMU).