Thanks Ronni. I should have clarified, I've tried with "Ask to Join Networks"
set to On, but still the "Auto-Join" setting won't stay On, and my iPhone
doesn't automatically join the network.

I run the network as a closed network, ie. SSID not broadcast, but that
shouldn't matter, I've saved the name of it, and the password, in the iPhone.
The name of the network is saved, however each time I have to manually join, I
have to rekey the network password, which is a pain.

CHeers, Steven