The strange thing is, the iPhone does remember the closed network. Each time I
come back into range, if I go into iPhone's settings, the Wi-Fi setting says
"Not Connected". If I tap this setting, the "Choose a Network" section displays
the name of the closed network. So obviously the iPhone is remembering. It's
just that the iPhone won't remember the password, because if I tap the name of
the network, up comes a password request.

The disadvantages of broadcasting the SSID outweigh the disadvantages of having
to manually connect, so I won't be broadcasting the SSID. The iPhone shouldn't
behave that way anyway. Nevertheless, I've just tested things by changing to an
open wireless network, closed down the iPhone a couple of times, restarted, but
no change ... I'm still required to enter a password to join the network,
despite the network name being remembered. No behavioural change between closed
and open network.

Cheers, Steven