On 14/12/2010, at 4:09 PM, Pat wrote:

> A few months ago I bought a Mac mini plus wireless keyboard and magic
> trackpad to use mainly for recording TV programs.  I was very busy at the
> time; everything seemed to work OK.  I was able to program TV shows and they
> got recorded.
>
> Recently, I started wondering about the gestures that are supposed to be used
> with the trackpad - they didn't work on mine.  When I looked at 'About this
> Mac', the keyboard and trackpad were both listed in the Bluetooth section.
> When I look at System Preferences, it doesn't see the trackpad.  I have tried
> restarting and searching for a trackpad, but the little 'wait' wheel just
> keeps going around with no result.
>
> What can I do to introduce the trackpad to its preferences?

Hi Pat,

When you turn the Track Pad on does the green light start blinking?
If not:

When you turn it on, the green light goes on but it does not start blinking,
and trackpad in system preferences can't find your trackpad.
Hold down the 'on' button on the trackpad until the light starts to blink.
This is a reset that forces the trackpad to 'unlink' with whatever it thinks it
is linked to, and to make itself discoverable.
Once the green light is blinking, just go to trackpad in system preferences and
it will quickly discover your new device.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)