just my 2c
why not an optical link / sp/dif connection mac to stereo
some macs have optical out hidden in the headphone socket eg powerbook/ macbook
James

On 13/01/2011, at 13:53, Dark1 wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. The main thing I don't like about my current setup is that I sometimes (depending on what the cpu is doing) get an annoying scratching sound coming through the speakers. It's not terribly prominent and is usually covered up by music or sound in video except where the soundtrack is at a quiet point and it can also be reduced by turning the volume down on my amplifier and the computer volume right up to compensate. Basically I'm just after a device that won't give lower quality sound to what I currently get and will also get rid of the scratching sound, allowing me to control my volume completely through the Apple Volume Control.

I'm running intel 10.6.5 at the moment but my hardware is probably not what you'd expect. I do have USB2. firewire 400 and pci slots available.

Thanks
Ruben

Hi Ruben,

If your current set-up (output jack to amp to speakers) is working OK - then perhaps telling us what you DON'T like about this setup (ie what you are hoping to improve) may help people make suitable suggestions/ comments.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton