Ok sorry for not posting all the details up.  I didn't do it because I thought
it would likely generate more questions and possibly unwanted debate but I will
post everything up now as people are a bit frustrated with my vague reference
to my hardware.

I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.5) on a gigabyte ex58-ud5 motherboard with an
intel i7 920 processor overclocked to 3.81GHz.  My sound out is through 2x
3.5mm (headphone jack style) connector cable to RCA which are connected to the
computer through a 3.5mm double adapter and run to 2 separate amplifiers (both
of which are roughly 30 years old).  The first amplifier is a NAD 3020 and is
connected to a pair of KEF Concerto SP1004 speakers.  The second amplifier is a
Technics SU-C 03 and is connected to a pair of Akai SW-A25 speakers.

I play my music through iTunes but I don't believe the problem is software
related since it occurs during many different things (fluctuates with web page
add animations, occurs at varying intervals in different games (particularly in
movie sequences) and occurs when encoding is using the CPU).  It is possible
that it could be interference in the cables but I think this is unlikely due to
the fluctuation during different activities unless the interference is from the
power cable.  I do have S/PDIF out but my amplifiers are of course not
compatible with it.

I think I've provided all the possible info now.  Glad at least that James and
Carlo led Reg onto the the MacBook optical output.
Ruben