On 18/02/2011, at 12:18 AM, Dark1 wrote:

>>> Keeping your desktop clean is really important because every icon, folder
>>> or alias on it is loaded into the RAM, slowing your system down.
>
> This explains why every computer my sister uses seems to suffer a huge drop
> in performance.  She has so much junk on the desktop that there are icons
> stacked upon multiple other icons.  I'd just like to clarify whether the
> contents of a folder on the desktop are also loaded into the RAM or if it was
> just the folder its-self.
>
> Thanks
> Ruben

I once had a client who complained that his eMac had slowed down so much it had
become impossible to use, taking up to five minutes or more to do such simple
things as opening a menu. When I saw his computer I found out why. He had
almost 800 icons all piled up in the top RH corner of his desktop! Mac OS X
does not like piling icons! Don't forget that modern Mac OS X icons are 512 x
512 pixels (roughly the same size as the screen size of the original 1984
Macintosh!), and take the same amount of memory when displayed at 16 x 16
pixels as they do when drawn at full size. The eMac was running Tiger, so the
icons were not quite that large, but the physics are the same. Trying to
display that many icons all at once, together with the processing power
required to track them all, was taxing the poor old eMac to its limit. I showed
him how to move all those items to other locations and left him to it...

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948