From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On Behalf Of
Ronda Brown
Sent: Thursday, 17 February 2011 3:54 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: iMac Good Practices

On 17/02/2011, at 3:24 PM, Chris Burton wrote:

> Hi Ronni and others
>
> This is really interesting and thanks heaps for speaking about it. I wasnt
> aware that files, folders and aliases on the desktop would take up ram and
> system efficiency. I also wasnt aware that it would be most efficient to use
> the Mac's folder system like you say Ronni.
>
> At the moment I have made a folder called Work (65000 items and 60gb of
> stuff) that sits with the Macs' folders; Applications, Documents, Library,
> Music etc etc.
>
> Would I be better off putting my 'Work' folder inside the Documents folder?

Yes, it should be filed in the Documents folder in your Home Folder.

> I also can see the 'Documents' folder on the RH side of the Dock, and when I
> click it, it rapidly displays the folders with in Documents, on which I can
> click one and it opens in Finder, like normal. Is  that what you are
> referring to Ronni?

Your Documents folder shows in the Dock which points to the Documents folder in
your Home > Documents folder.

What I was referring to, and I'll use your "Work Folder" as an example (which
is similar to my "Work in Progress folder" which is filed in my Documents
folder and is sitting on my Dock for quick access.

1. File your "Work" Folder into your Documents folder in your Home folder

2. Then Drag your "Work" Folder down onto the Right Side of the Dock. If you
look closely at your dock there is a dividing line. (Applications go on the
left side of the divider, files and folders on the right ... Virtually using
the Dock as a launcher, a place for launching applications or accessing
commonly used folders)

> With this in mind, what is the optimum way to configure the filing/folder
> system?

Keep all Documents in Documents folder. Create folders 'and place documents
within folders' in your Documents Folder in your Home.
I have numerous Folders in my Documents folder. Example, all documents relating
to Leopard are in a 'Leopard Folder', Snow Leopard Documents are in a folder
'Snow Leopard' etc.
Drag any folders you use everyday onto the dock .Drag your  'Work Folder' onto
the dock. Use the Dock for folders you access every day.

> Thanks heaps for any advice
>
> Best regards
>
> Chris
>
> (Im using a MBPro Intel Dual 2.2 with 4gb Ram) and it is running pretty
> slow!!)

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.