From: "Peter Hinchliffe" <hinch...@multiline.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 8:28:42 AM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong
Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Re: Your opinions oregarding 1Password

On 28/03/2011, at 4:19 PM, Stephen Chape wrote:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I am getting weighed down with logins and passwords, to the point that I am
> having to write them down.
> This concerns me as it defeats the purpose of having passwords !
> Has anyone experienced the 1Password application and what is your view on
> this ?
>
> Regards,
> Stephen Chape

There are two pieces of software out there that I regard as pretty much
mandatory on any Mac that I own: one is 1Password, and the other is Default
Folder (but that's another story). The true magic of 1Password shows itself
when you access a web site that requires authentication. 1Password will capture
your login and password (but only with your permission!) and automatically
create an entry in its database for you. It also puts a very handy little icon
in your browser's toolbar (works with all popular browsers) that gives you
access to many of 1Password's features without launching the software at all.

1Password would be valuable enough for its password capture alone, but it also
keeps track of all your software licence keys, credit card numbers, expiries,
etc (with automatic fill-in on web forms), and even private notes.

It is a bit of work to set up 1Password in the first instance with all your
stuff, but it's time well spent. It does base its password directory on, and
works in concert with, the built-in keychain database, so it pretty much
becomes part of the system. The ability to sync with the iPhone or iPad gives a
very handy and effective backup system as well.

1Password is pretty much perfect at what it is designed to do (not much good at
word processing, though...)

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948