Hi Peter

Some router's don't "extend well" with bridge mode.
Some things I'd be very wary of, with doing it with another router, unless
it allows you to create either a WDS type "master - slave" network or
bridges it for you, is to make sure it's keeping your whole network in the
same subnet range.
What I mean by this is:-
Assuming your main network router has the IP Address 192.168.0.1. Then all
your connected devices will be in the range 192.168.0.2 through to
192.168.0.255.
If you then run a network that bridges it with another wireless unit and it
creates things in the IP address lets say 10.1.1.1 and things that connect
to it get the IP addresses 10.1.1.2 though to 10.1.1.255 then you're
effectively having two networks.
This can sometimes create a headache with things like sharing, printer
sharing (network printers), Time Machine etc.
Because the data can be on "two different networks". (Even though it appears
to be one).

I always like to keep networks on the same IP set. This makes it easy for
all the things mentioned above (file sharing, printer sharing, Time Machine,
troubleshooting etc).

Personally for easy of use, ease of setup, ease of no headaches you may find
it easier just to grab an Airport Express ($149). Plug it in, set it up with
the Airport Admin Utility to "extend wireless network". Done. Same wireless
network name through the whole house. Same IP address. No mucking around.
:o)

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel

(Who had to correct most of his sentences about 4 times for it to make
sense,..it's too early,....) ;o)

On 3/4/11 9:31 AM, "Tim Law" <t...@peoplehelp.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I have a second wireless router and I'll try to step you through how I did
> this.
>
> I connected the second router via ethernet cable to the network and logged
> into it's control panel
> Turn OFF the setting that says 'find DNS automatically'  this may be 'find IP
> Address automatically'
> Set a new IP address as per Rod's suggestion. I think I set the second router
> to 192.168.0.100
>
> Then you can turn on the wireless on the second router, set it's password and
> away you go.
>
> This requires the second router to still be connected to the network via an
> ethernet cable, but it given the placement in the house, it extends the
> wireless for the kids bedrooms instead of me having to hard wire every
> bedroom. Wireless is 'okay', but for reliability, I'd go for hard wire.
>
> I think  your query may be how to set up your new router to receive the
> signals wirelessly, and then retransmit. Can't help with that, sorry.
>
> Some one else might give a more technically correct step by step process.
>
> Tim
>

> On 03/04/2011, at 7:45 AM, Peter Crisp wrote:
>

>> Hi Rob, thanks for this. Are you able to make the notes more "idiot" proof -
>> ie step by step connection and configuration process? I googled each of the
>> acronyms you noted here and now have a basic understanding of what they mean
>> but I have never been comfortable in getting networks established. Lots of
>> trouble in the past for me.
>>
>> I will have a look at it now and see how I go.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter...
>>

>> On 02/04/2011, at 8:27 PM, Rob Davies wrote:
>>

>>> Morning,
>>> Cable connecting AP's.
>>> WPA2 Personnel Shared Key with AES algorithms same for both AP's. SSID again
>>> same for both machines, do not worry about hiding actually slows down
>>> network whilst achieving nothing.
>>> Different  IP address, but on same subnet. i.e 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
>>> with 255.255.255.0 this you can play to determine how many IP's you require
>>> to connect with AP's.
>>> http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
>>>
>>> WDS can be utilised  without cable connecting routers, but come with
>>> overheads approximately half bandwidth.
>>> Very simplified explanation, more information if required.
>>> Cheers!
>>> `RobD...

---
Daniel Kerr