Hi Peter

The Airport Express goes wirelessly, generally somewhere it the middle.
It only requires power. Nothing else. It's kinda small. So just plugs in
somewhere out of sight.  And as mentioned, generally about the middle. IT
then extends the same network wirelessly the rest of the way. You can move
it around to get the best coverage.

Also, and I forgot to mention this. Sometimes it pays to just flick the Time
Capsule off and see if that helps the network strength. I've had a few
clients where the signal "has degraded". By simply switching it off then
waiting a few minutes then turning it on again it comes back stronger.
Had this fix it for a few clients where the signal wasn't as strong.
Also, extra height helps. So if it's sitting on the floor or lower down, try
raising it up a bit as well.
Just a couple of short term fixes sometimes.

But yes, re the AE (Airport Express), you don't need to add a couple to it.
You find the best location then get the signal working around both units.
And all wirelessly.

And yes. Sometimes you have to look at the "cost" of these things. If you
spend half a day to not get anywhere, is that less cost effective then just
grabbing the AE unit at $149 :o) That's how I look at some things. If it's
going to take me a day to solve something but can spend a little money to
get it done much faster another way, and then I concentrate on what I do
best then everyone wins. :o) (If that makes sense,..lol)

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 3/4/11 12:54 PM, "Peter Crisp" <petercr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Thanks Ronni, Daniel and others for these elegant solutions outlined here.
> This seems much better than the cobbled non-Apple devices I find myself with.
>
> A further question about the Airport Extreme/Express option. Is the Airport
> Extreme/Express connected from the far end of the house to my Time Capsule
> with a LAN cable or does it wirelessly connect to the existing wireless
> network and then provide the extension from that point?
>
> If it wirelessly connects then surely it is extending an already degraded
> signal and maybe it boosts it back to what it was at the Time Capsule.
>
> I am inclined to go this way partly because of the results of my work this
> morning.
>
> By some fluke, I was able to configure the Linksys (WAG120N) router by direct
> connecting it to my old PC - I set it in accordance with some blogged
> information as the manual makes no mention of repeater or extend mode. So I
> got it working and it is indeed a 'second network' as opposed to a single
> extended network. in any case it works, BUT the transmit rate sitting
> alongside the Linksys is LESS than the transmit rate from the Time Capsule up
> the other end of the house.
>
> So I have wasted half a day to go backwards! not the first time though.
>
> Anyway, I have to understand if I need to extend the LAN cable down to the
> back of the house or not to suit the Airport Extreme option.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter...
>

> On 03/04/2011, at 12:18 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>

>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Just to reiterate what Daniel has pointed out, it is much easier and less
>> problems arise if you keep your ONE Apple Wireless Network (which is a
>> Dual-Band wireless network N & b/g, as if I remember correctly you used my
>> tutorial 'How to Setup a Simultaneous Dual-Band 802.11N Wi-Fi Network¹)
>> And then use an Airport Extreme or an Airport Express to extend your ONE
>> Apple wireless Network.
>>
>> Your Time Capsule Network just needs to have "Extend a Wireless Network²
>> selected in Airport Utility - Wireless.
>> Click ³Update² after doing this to  ŒRestart the Base Station with that
>> setting¹.
>>
>> Then connect an Airport Extreme or Airport Express down at the other end of
>> the house (or part way) & set it to ³Extend a Wireless Network².
>>
>> Some Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4GHz wireless band, including iPhone, iPod
>> touch, iPad, and devices using 802.11b/g.
>> Other devices can use either 2.4GHz or the higher-speed 5GHz band, such as
>> the latest 802.11n-based Mac computers and Apple TV.
>> Instead of choosing one of the bands, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule now
>> operates simultaneously on both bands, and your multi-band devices
>> automatically use the best available band.
>>
>> This means all your Wi-Fi devices get the fastest possible wireless
>> performance and the best possible range.
>>
>> I¹ve setup numerous Apple Airport Wireless Dual-Band Networks and extended
> [...]

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960