Hi Daniel,

But isn't the difference here that you are only using a different network
when you are connected through wireless broadband (out on the road).

Bill is trying to use the westnet STMP server through a Bigpond ADSL2
connection. Or are you saying you can take a laptop with STMP set as
mail.iinet.net.au and plug it into a Telstra ADSL network (say at a clients)
and still send emails without changing STMP settings on the laptop?

If so, I wonder what I need to change on my laptop to get the same result?

It always catches me out in perth - I check my emails just fine but then
when I try and send anything it doesn't work until I change the STMP server
to Westnet. Same when I come home if I forget to change it back.

Just to be sure my memory isn't faulty ;o)

I have a bigpond email account which uses mail.bigpond.com as the POP server
- I just changed the STMP server from mail.internode.on.net to
mail.bigpond.com and tried to send a test email. The send fails with the
error:
Error
Entourage cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is
connected to the network.
Explanation
Mail could not be sent.
Account name: "Bigpond - Neil"

It seems my Internode ADSL connection does not allow me to use
mail.bigpond.com as the STMP server.

Or am I missing something here?

Cheers

Neil