Thanks for your suggestions Ronni. I began having a look about online to see if
any others were having similar issues. Yes, not only me having problems with
Mail's search facility. Rebuilding mailboxes and re-indexing are the most
popular suggestions, both of which I've now done, and like some others, has not
resolved the issue.

Lion has definitely slowed my MBP down, so maybe it's too underpowered now to
effectively handle the full capabilities of Mail's search capability?? I'm
guessing not though, because it's not that I'm getting slower results, I'm
getting false results, ie. no returned hits when there are definitely matching
hits. It's not every search though, which is consistent with the experience of
others.

I've now come across MS Word 2008 hanging when used with Lion. This is a known
issue and Microsoft plans a fix. If anybody out there relies on Office 2008 and
is planning on updating to Lion, might be worth thinking twice. Apparently
updating to 2011 is an option, a little extreme to bypass a hanging problem
though. For now I've downloaded OpenOffice until Microsoft come up with a fix.

I thought one comment I came across on the web reflected one of my perceptions
... "Apple seems to have made some changes for change sake" or words to that
effect. An example cited was Preview and the appearance of the navigation pane
on the left instead of the right. Perhaps it's all part of the grand marketing
plan ... "over 250 features!".

It seems silly to update a new system and then revert back to classic features,
why update in the first place, but I have checked the "Use classic layout" box
in Mail > Preferences > Viewing. I find the layout in Lion's Mail worse. And I
was pleased to discover the "scroll direction" could be changed back from the
confusing Lion way.

I like to keep up with the latest OS, even if a little buggy, but I'm glad I
haven't been billed more than AUD 31.99 for all of my Macs!

Cheers, Steven