Thanks Ronni,

It is a new learning area for me. But with your advice and that of the other
WAMU people I am gradually getting my head around it.

Regards

Lloyd

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Best option is to save as "Web Page, Filtered", alternatively, RTF - or even
> TXT
> Then convert to ePub
>
> Convert Microsoft Word documents:
>
> Calibre does not directly convert .doc/.docx files from Microsoft Word.
> However, in Word, you can save the document as HTML and then convert the
> resulting HTML file with calibre.
> When saving as HTML, be sure to use the ³Save as Web Page, Filtered² option as
> this will produce clean HTML that will convert well.
>
> Note that Word produces really messy HTML, converting it can take a long time,
> so be patient.
>
> There is a Word macro package that can automate the conversion of Word
> documents using calibre.
> It also makes generating the Table of Contents much simpler.
> It is called BookCreator and is available for free at mobileread.
>
> * But I have read conflicting reports on using BookCreator, some say it is not
> required, it causes more problems. Even though ³BookCreator² is recommended
> within ³Calibre² help.
>
> Ebook Conversion
> <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html>
>

> EpubCheck
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/>
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 ³Thunderbolt"
> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD
>
> OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
>

> On 31/07/2011, at 3:55 PM, Lloyd White wrote:
>
>> Epub files
>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> Is there any one in WAMUG who is knowledgeable about creating ePub files
>>> that can be read on an iPad?
>>>
>>> I have a MS Word (2011) document that I want to convert to ePub. I have
>>> saved it as PDF and used Calibre to convert it but it comes out ok in parts
>>> and totally mixed up in other parts.
>>> Calibre says that PDF is the least preferred format to convert from, with
>>> .lit as the best.
>>>
>>> In order of decreasing preference: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, FB2, HTML, PRC, RTF,
>>> PDB, TXT, PDF
>>>
>>> I nave never heard of .lit ‹ can .doc be converted to .lit on a Mac?
>>>
>>> I have read Apple¹s support info on it using Pages. I could import the
>>> document into Pages, and export it as an epub but I would have to reformat
>>> it with Pages¹ limited formatting abilities. 260 pages is a lot to reformat.
>>>
>>> Ideally I would like to export the Word version in a format suitable for
>>> conversion to epub without loss of format. I can¹t find anything on the net
>>> to do this except Calibre.
>>>
>>> Failing to do all this, does anyone know of a firm that could produce an
>>> epub book of about 260 pages from a MS Word 2011?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Lloyd

--------

Lloyd White
22 Challenger Parade
City Beach
Western Australia 6015
Ph: and Fax: +61893858174
(08) 9385 8174
Skype: lloyd_white

Email: lloydwh...@iinet.net.au

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it
is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur
Schopenhauer

Write a Winning Job Application 4th Edition.
http://lloydwhite.iinet.net.au/