Hi Alastair,

If you are now experiencing Kernel Panics and because you also mentioned you
had run Memtest and it reported many errors, that your RAM (Memory) ‘could’ be
the problem.  This is not conclusive as there are other things that can cause
Kernel Panics.
If you have run memtest before I imagine you have already read all the
documentation regarding running memtest.

When you ran Memtest, did you run it in ‘Single-User Mode’?

In this mode, nearly all of the installed ram can be tested whereas under the
full OS, a considerable portion of memory is tied up by OS X processes and the
Quartz window manager.
Running memtest in single-user mode maximizes the effectiveness of the memory
test.

To boot into single-user mode, hold down the "Command" and "S" keys during
startup. You will be automatically logged in as the user root with a minimal
command line environment. The login directory for the root account is "/" which
is the top-level directory of the boot volume.

Assuming that the memtest folder resides in your Applications folder, a typical
invocation of memtest would be the following:

>  /Applications/memtest/memtest all 3 -L <RETURN>    ( <RETURN> means press
> the Return key)

This would run three passes of the test suite, testing all available free
memory. The "-L" switch instructs memtest to save the transcript of the run to
a file named "memtest.log" within the working directory from which you invoked
memtest (also known as the current working directory).

Under the full OS, launching a terminal window sets the working directory to
/Users/login_name where login_name is the account name you logged in with.
Note that when running in single-user mode, you are automatically logged in as
the "root" user so the default current working directory is /private/var/root.

The main thing to remember is that the memtest.log file is always saved in the
current working directory which is the same thing as the login directory unless
the user manually changes to a different working directory.

Alternatively, you can cd  into the memtest folder and run the program using
the command

>  ./memtest all 3 -L <RETURN>     (Don't forget the period before the forward
> slash!)

Best to run at least 3 to 5 passes to obtain the best test coverage of marginal
or intermittently failing DIMMs.

To test less than all of the available free memory, replace the all option with
the number of megabytes to test (e.g. 10, 100, 512, etc). The number entered is
assumed to be in MB. For example, the command,

>  /Applications/memtest/memtest 1150 3 -L <RETURN>

will test 1150 MB of the installed memory assuming this much is available for
testing.

TIPS FOR ISOLATING DEFECTIVE DIMMS

Memtest currently does not have the ability to isolate which DIMM or DIMMs are
marginal or defective when the test results report a failure. This feature is
planned for a future release. For now, the best way to isolate the offending
DIMM(s) is to use a binary search methodology. This is an algorithm which is
popular in many sorting routines and can lead to the discovery of a defective
DIMM in a minimal number of swap/test sequences.

When memtest reports one or more failures, the first step in isolating the
offending DIMMs is to remove half of them and then rerun memtest. If there are
no failures, then the suspect DIMMs are the ones that were removed. If failures
are still reported, then one or more of the still-installed DIMMs are bad.

If the failures are in the still-installed DIMMs, again remove half of them and
retest. If the failure are gone, then swap the installed half for the removed
half and retest. Each time a test is run, either cut the number of installed
DIMMs in half (for a failure) or swap the installed DIMMs for the removed ones
(no failure) until the minimal number of DIMMs are installed (e.g., one pair in
the G5 systems). Once you're down to the minimal installation, put back in all
of the now known good DIMMs and swap one of the remaining suspects out for the
next test. Under normal circumstances, you should be able to isolate the
failing DIMMs in just a few swap/test cycles.

There are many other reasons DIMMs can appear to be bad. Sometimes, a defective
DIMM socket is the culprit and simply not using that socket solves the problem.
Problems can also arise from mixing and matching different brands of DIMMs,
especially if they aren't all rated with the same timing specs. It's even
possible that the motherboard CPU caches may be bad and the fault doesn't lie
with the DIMMs at all. Suspect the CPU caches if the tests pass in single-user
mode but fail in a terminal window under the full OS. The CPU caches are turned
off in single-user mode and are therefore not part of the memory test, whereas
the caches are in the test path under full OS operation.

EXITING SINGLE-USER MODE

To exit single-user mode, type either the reboot command or the shut command at
the unix prompt. The reboot command reboots the machine into the full operating
system and is analogous to restarting from the Finder. The shut command powers
down the machine and is analogous to shutting down the system from the Finder.
These are the only recommended methods for exiting single-user mode.

Carlo might suggest doing something else first.