Hi Ronni, Carlo and James

Just to feed back on the memory slot - before even reaching for the
isopropyl I tried another suggestion I read - rubbing the contacts on
the dimm with a pencil eraser. Whaddya know - now gets a perfect score
on memtest and safari hasn't quit since. Haven't given illustrator
much of a workout but I'm hopeful. If I'd known it was that simple
weeks ago...

Many thanks for leading me in the right direction

best
alastair