On 11/02/2012, at 10:04 AM, gary dorn wrote:

>> On 08/02/2012, at 6:24 PM, gary dorn wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy
>>>
>>> I've just upgraded a Macbook to Lion ( via USB stick) , principally
>>> so I could use iBooks Author ( requires 10.7.2) , and also to start
>>> the slow migration  of all our machine to Lion  before MobileMe
>>> finally dies..
>>>
>>> He have our email, contacts etc synced via MobileMe to iphones ,
>>> macPro, iMacs and iBook ( different accounts for different users
>>>
>>> If we open mail in Lion on the MacBook, will that affect opening/
>>> receiving/ sending email on the other machines - which all run with
>>> 10.6.8
>>>
>>> appreciate any advice/experience
>>>

>> Nothing should change from the way it was working when the Macbook
>> was running SL. The only thing that will change will be the way Mail
>> looks and works on your Macbook, but that won't affect Mail on the
>> other computers.
>
>> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
>

> great
>
> so  does this mean, that if we decided to revert to SL on the
> macbook, because it syncs via mobile me, that email will all be okay
> - we just loose cant read Lion version of  mail file.
>
> Not that we are likely to  downgrade ( my wife though dislkes Lions
> changes to Contacts, disappearing scroll bars, full screen....) as we
> are going to have to move to iCloud anyway which I understand
> requires Lion and iOS5.

No, the mail library created in Lion is not backwards-compatible, but you CAN
use the mail library from the backup you created before you converted to Lion
(you did create that backup, didn't you…?)

Although there's not much we can do about Address Book (and it's really just an
appearance change - all the old features are still there), all the other Lion
issues you mention are optional: you can choose to have scroll bars visible at
all times (although you're stuck with the new minimalist look), you can ignore
full screen mode completely, as you can with most of the other new features in
Lion.

For me, the positives in Lion far outweigh the negatives. For example, on
personal note, it took me some time to get used to Mission Control as opposed
to Spaces in SL, but now I find I take advantage of multiple work spaces far
more than I ever did before Lion.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948