Hi Ray,

It seems that the new iPad will not support the so-far limited LTE networks in
Europe either. To quote a MacRumors article:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/09/international-4g-ipad-models-will-work-on-att-not-on-lte-in-home-countries/

The new iPad WiFi + 4G put up for pre-order in Europe yesterday supports the
same 700MHz and 2100MHz LTE bands as the AT&T version in the US; however,
actual LTE roll-out in Europe is expected to use the 800MHz, 1800MHz and
2600MHz bands.

That means, even if commercial LTE networks become more commonplace in Europe –
which has for the most part remained using the faster variants of 3G
technology, such as DC-HSDPA, which the new iPad also supports – the Apple
tablet is unlikely to be compatible with them.

It is reported that the iPad is using the Qualcomm's MDM9600 baseband chip.
There is already available a newer version of this chip that supports voice
over LTE but we may have to wait for yet newer versions of the chip before we
see support for LTE in Australia and Europe.

I wonder if the iPhone 5 (or more likely the new iPhone)* will support more LTE
frequencies.

Cheers,
Carlo

* the iPhone may be the only remaining piece of Apple hardware that carries a
model number. I can't think of any others.