Thanks once again Ronni,
        I have followed all your tips, and tips from others and those gleaned
from different sites that reference Safari problems.  Problem still exists so
will have to be content for now sitting and waiting the several minutes for the
initial link to open; once that occurs, others open normally until such time as
I re-start Safari (Firefox 11 is slightly better but still slower than
acceptable).
        I am not game at the moment Ronni,  to attempt a Lion Recovery.  Having
looked at the recovery site it appears I would have to reset and re-install far
too much for me to attempt.

Regards

John