Thanks Ronni.... I finally cracked it... and as usual it was because I hadn't
followed instructions to the letter!!  I have 3 Airport Expresses..... the 2
old ones that I use for speakers and printer which are the old flavour and can
only be tasked on Airport Utility 5.6.  The Airport Extreme Base Station and
also the recently purchased Airport express which I use to extend my network
are of course 5ghz.... for some reason my iPad had decided to "attach" itself
to the old Airport Express?  Why?  Anyway I went back and reset both of the old
AE's and voila... all good!  But it took 3 hours!!

Thanks again as always for your invaluable help.

David