Or, in Mail (and Safari). Go to View menu, Choose "Customise Toolbar..."
Drag in the "little A big A" to the menu bar. Repeat for Main Window, New
Message menu and when reading an email Window. Then you will have it there all
the time. If you then forget the keys for it, you can just click the Big A to
make ti larger and the small A to make it smaller.
Works the same in Safari too. (Though you only need do it once for the Main
window). Mail lets you customise it three times, as each "window" is different.

Just another way to have it there.

Kind regards
Daniel
---